Kashmir of Karnataka

Karwar Railway Station 

Karwar, a city that holds my childhood. A city full of warmth like a child wrapped in a blanket. A city where I’ve cried and laughed, lost and found. But above everything else, it’s a city that feels just like home.

 When I was younger and even at present, summer holidays are most awaited. They start with a lot of convincing for a Karwar trip and end with precious memories.


It is said that during the 19th century, Rabindranath Tagore visited Karwar to meet his elder brother, Satyendranath Tagore who was posted in the city as the district collector. A young Tagore was mesmerized by the city’s beauty and it left an impact on him and his work. 

He termed Karwar as the Kashmir of Karnataka, and the Karwar beach was recognized as Rabindranath Tagore Beach.

 

 
Kali River, Karwar

In December, at the end of every year I convince my parents to take me to visit my cousins in Karwar. What started as a small vacay has turned into a yearly ritual. Being an only child my life had no spice, but my cousins have filled that void of loneliness. 

Days are spent loitering around the neighborhood, eating scrumptious food prepared by my darling aunt, my loving uncle tricking me for a head massage and nights go by huddled in a blanket, giggling jokes and getting in trouble with our parents.

Karwar may not be the city I was born in but it is the city I like to always end my year in.

~Benecia Fernandes


Picture Credit: Benecia Fernandes
                         Perspectivebyshubam on Isntagram.

Comments